This is a rich and meaty recipe that makes a nice big pot. Leftovers freeze well. Adapted from momtoellis’s recipe on allrecipes.com.
Wash & soak overnight (or boil until soft in plenty of water):
- 2 pounds dried black beans
Rinse until the water is clear.
Saute until soft in 1/2 cup olive oil a large pot:
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
Turn on medium-high heat and add 9 cups water + the beans.
Mix in a bowl:
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup water
- 12 oz (2 small cans) canned tomato paste
- 8 oz diced pimentos from a jar, drained
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon white sugar
Add to pot and boil for at least 2 hours with the top slightly off to vaporize the liquid.